What To Do If You Smell Natural Gas in Your Home
Avoid a Gas Fire In Your Home
Gas leaks can happen at any time, and it is important to recognize the warning signs. Natural gas itself has no odor, but a strong rotten egg smell around your stove is still a tell-tale sign of a gas leak. This is because gas companies add a pungent chemical called mercaptan to the gas that you use.
If you get that rotten egg smell in your home one day, here are some tips to help you manage the situation safely and avoid a gas fire.
1. Leave Immediately If the Smell Is Strong
A very strong odor indicates a potentially dangerous gas fire. It is a good idea to leave the house as soon as possible and tell everyone else in the house to leave. Then, you should call your gas company from your cell phone or from a neighbor's phone.
2. Do Not Turn the Lights On
If gas is present in the building, turning the lights on could create an explosion. It is better to use a flashlight.
3. Make Sure the Stove is Off
It is important to verify that all the burners are switched off. It is easy to accidentally bump them and turn them on, which can lead to a fire.
4. Open the Windows and Doors
Opening the windows and doors allows for ventilation. This will reduce the amount of gas present in the home.
5. Evacuate to Avoid a Gas Fire
If the smell is not overwhelming and you have taken the above precautions, you should evacuate and call your gas company.
Following these steps will help you proceed as safely as you can.
If you do experience fire from a gas explosion, be sure to contact a professional fire restoration company in Carpentersville, IL as soon as possible. A prompt restoration effort will help you recover your belongings and move forward.